Acupuncture and massage therapies may be covered in full or partially by your health insurance or employee benefit plan.
We are often asked, “Do you accept insurance?” The simple answer is “no”. However, it may still be possible for you to be reimbursed by your insurance carrier for treatment. Fortunately, more and more insurance companies are covering acupuncture treatment. Insurance companies are much more responsive to patients rather than providers. We will do whatever we can to help you receive reimbursement.
Here’s a brief explanation of the process: Call your insurance company (there should be an 800 number on the back of your card). Determine if they cover acupuncture administered by a Licensed Acupuncturist (not an MD, DC or DO). They can tell you how many visits are authorized, if you need pre-authorization or a physician’s referral, etc.
We will provide you a receipt with the dates and specific CPT codes (Current Procedural Terminology) for acupuncture treatments. You then submit this receipt to your insurance company for reimbursement. If they require any additional information or documentation, we will be happy to provide it.
Questions to ask your health insurance provider:
- Do I have acupuncture/massage therapy coverage?
- What is my deductible and has it been met?
- How many sessions per calendar year does my plan cover?
- How much does my plan cover for an out-of-network provider?
- What is the coverage amount per acupuncture/massage session?
- Is approval/referral from my primary care physician required?
- Do they cover acupuncture administered by an Illinois State Licenses Acupuncturist (Not an MD, DC, DO)?
If acupuncture or massage therapy is covered, ask how to obtain the forms to file your claim. Usually on line.
Paperwork needs to be filled out properly to receive your reimbursements directly from your insurer. A $25 administration fee will be charged for any checks sent to our office.
Flex Spending & Health Savings Accounts
Most Flex Spending and H.S.A. accounts support “complementary” medicine provided by licensed acupuncturists.
We provide all necessary receipts for you to submit. Your “Flex Spending” or “HSA” credit card usually work.